What is coaching? Is it the right kind of help for me? Before we begin, it’s important to decide if coaching is the best kind of help for you and your particular concerns.
A coach might offer guidance for:
- clarifying and achieving personal and professional goals,
- creating business plans,
- working to improve communication skills,
- achieving financial independence and security,
- achieving a work/life balance, or
- starting a new business or growing a current business.
In contrast, a counselor focuses their conversation on ways to:
- recover from past traumas,
- explore why past relationships (business or personal) have been destructive,
- work through depression or anxiety that affects one’s ability to function at home or work, or
- survive a divorce or loss of a loved one.
- is goal-oriented.
- focuses on an individual’s actions and results.
- focuses on the present and future, it does not delve into the past to resolve issues from your childhood or seek to understand root causes of behaviors.
- is not a substitute for psychotherapy or mental health treatment; it doesn’t treat mental health or substance abuse problems.
- is also an appropriate choice if you’ve previously worked with a therapist and your mental health symptoms are well managed. For some, it will be important to first work with a therapist and resolve some core issues and then work with a coach later for help achieving particular goals.
At Peaceful Living Counseling, we want you to have support in your efforts to grow, master your problems, and become more effective in your life. Learning, healing, and growing are essential the person you are striving to become.